If you look at it from a negative light, you can say that cold weather can limit your wardrobe drastically. On the other hand, though, you can also say that cold weather is a great excuse for trying out different looks, fabrics, and types of clothing. Sure, keeping yourself warm, dry and comfortable is the number one goal. That doesn’t mean, however, that you can’t also look your best while doing it. With all that in mind, this guide will go over five of the best women’s pants for cold weather on the market. Additionally, it will provide useful information about this type of garment in general. With any luck, all this will help you make the best choice for yourself whenever you decide to buy a new pair of cold-weather pants.
The Best Women’s Pants for Cold Weather – Five Reviews
|Arctix Women's Insulated Snow Pants; |
|Carhartt Women's Original Fit Fleece Pants|
|BALEAF Women's Hiking Ski Pants|
|Toomett Women's Snow Fleece|
For Ice Skating
|Chloe Noel Figure Skating Polar Fleece Pants|
Arctix Women’s Insulated Snow Pants – Best Women’s Pants for Snow Sports
One of the first things that stand out about this product is how lightweight and non-bulky it is considering it’s meant for the snow. As a matter of fact, its ThermaTech insulation fabric weighs only 85 grams despite being capable of retaining heat and blocking out cold with incredible efficiency. Featuring thousands of heat-trapping micro-chambers, this insulation fabric retains bodily warmth for a lot longer than others. As a result, when properly used, these pants are capable of keeping you warm in temperatures ranging from -20 to 35 degrees Fahrenheit with no problems.
Moisture Elimination and Cold Blocking
In addition to the aforementioned insulation, the Arctix Women’s Insulated Snow Pants features two other layers that help eliminate moisture while blocking out the cold. To do the former, you have a unique breathable fabric that allows moisture from sweat to be efficiently and reliably eliminated. Meanwhile, the product’s high-tech outer fabric works as a shell of sorts, preventing cold air, rain, and snow for penetrating it and reaching the mid or inner layers. Without a doubt, the combination of these features is very effective when it comes to keeping you warm and dry.
Flexibility and Performance
Designed to be used in physically-challenging, dynamic situations, the Arctix Women’s Insulated Snow Pants work fantastically out in the snow. For one, they are lightweight and remarkably comfortable. Despite being tough and durable, they are not stiff or bulky in the least. What is more, these pants are remarkably flexible and stretchy in all directions, allowing you to move expressively in all directions without tearing or breaking in any way. Meanwhile, the 600-denier-reinforced ankle, scuff and hem guards ensure a perfect and secure fit at all times.
Carhartt Women’s Original Fit Fleece Lined Crawford Pants – Best Women’s Pants for Cold Weather Outdoor Work
Made of 98-percent cotton and 2-percent spandex, this product features a stretchy, roomy and flexible canvas that is particularly well-suited for women who have an active lifestyle. Weighing in at only 8 ounces, this canvas is also remarkably lightweight and easy to wear. Interiorly, meanwhile, the product features a 100-percent polyester fleece lining that helps maintain your bodily warmth for prolonged periods.
Design and Construction
The Carhartt Women’s Original Fit Fleece Lined Crawford Pants have a unique fit that is, somehow, simultaneously spacious and secure. Without a doubt, its straight-leg opening and mid-rise waist help it look youthful and dynamic while maintaining functionality. At the same time, its straight waistband prevents having a gap in the back that may allow cold air to make its way in. As if all that wasn’t enough, this product includes several useful pockets and even a loop for hanging your keys or anything else.
BALEAF Women’s Hiking Ski Pants – Most Versatile Women’s Pants
Made with a unique soft micro-fleece fabric, the BALEAF Women’s Hiking Ski Pants are, at the same time, warm and comfortable. In fact, the fabric can generate its heat while helping maintain your own body heat, resulting in added warmth during strenuous physical activities. While not the best out there, its insulation capabilities are certainly welcome. In addition, the product’s external softshell fabric layer is both completely windproof and water-resistant, preventing external elements from reaching your skin and lowering your body heat.
Articulation and Flexibility
Despite its name, the BALEAF Women’s Hiking Ski Pants can be used for a variety of outdoor cold-weather sports. For that reason, its design and construction both aim at providing maximum flexibility, stretchiness, and articulation at all times. One of the best examples of this is the fact that these pants have specially articulated knees that prevent any type of resistance to even the most dramatic movements.
Sleek, sporty and yet elegant, there is no doubt that the BALEAF Women’s Hiking Ski Pants is a stylish item of clothing. That is greatly helped by its great fit: Not too spacious or too tight, the product is capable of protecting your body without restraining its movements. To enhance its secure fit, the manufacturer included both a belt and an adjustable waist feature.
Toomett Women’s Snow Fleece Pants – Most Comfortable Women’s Pants for Cold Weather
Materials and Construction
Made of high-quality materials and expertly constructed, the Toomett Women’s Snow Fleece Pants are certainly durable, tough and resistant. Despite this fact, though, they are remarkably comfortable and soft to the touch. Without a doubt, this has a lot to do with the fact that this product’s external layer is made of polyester of the highest quality. This choice in materials has added benefits such as allowing machine washing.
Waterproofing and Windproofing
Something that definitely puts the Toomett Women’s Snow Fleece in a category of its own is the fact that it’s completely waterproof and windproof. While the latter is not a rare quality among women’s clothing for cold weather, the former is not seen often enough. This amazing feature allows you to perform to the best of your abilities in the rain and snow without worrying about your body temperature lowering.
Design and Style
Featuring a slim fit that is very appropriate for outdoor physical activities, the Toomett Women’s Snow Fleece is sleek and cool. Apart from being comfortable, its design is flattering because it pads all the right spots in your body. Additionally, it features a belt, patchwork knees, steric knee darts and even a set of unique zippered cargo pockets.
Chloe Noel Figure Skating Polar Fleece Pants – Best Women’s Pants for Ice Skating
A Unique Combination of Materials
In order to be flexible, durable and warm at the same time, this product by Chloe Noel is made of 49-percent polyester, 38-percent nylon and 13-percent spandex. The combination of polyester and nylon provides a decent amount of insulation as well as toughness and durability. At the same time, the small amount of spandex included in the mix provides enough flexibility and stretchiness to allow you to perform to the best of your abilities.
Ice Skating Capabilities
Unlike the other products featured in this guide, the Chloe Noel Figure Skating Polar Fleece Pants is a product that is not meant for cold-weather activities in general. Instead, these pants have been specifically designed for ice skating. For one, they are exceptionally lightweight and comfortable. Besides, they are very tight-fitting. At the same time, however, these pants are incredibly flexible, allowing you to perform any moves and figures without any type of resistance or discomfort.
The Best Women’s Pants for Cold Weather – Buyer’s Guide
What to Look For in a Pair of Cold-Weather Pants
Apart from looking good, a pair of cold-weather pants should keep you dry and warm. In addition, it should be flexible and ergonomic enough to let you move comfortably. Before buying new pants for cold weather, take the following into account:
- Stretch: Without a doubt, the stretch is one of the most important factors to take into account when buying pants for cold weather. The key is in the materials. Look for one that allows a full range of motion without any type of strain. This is particularly important when it comes to the garment’s base layers. Two good examples of material with a good stretch are spandex and elastane. However, there are other capable of efficient stretching. On the other hand, if you are looking for more natural materials, knit ones such as wool can be a good choice.
- Bulk: When fighting the cold weather, it is tempting to choose the bulkiest pieces of clothing you can get your hands on. However, that can do more harm than good. If you are looking for full mobility, too much bulk in your layers can be very detrimental. For that reason, try to look for pants made of warm and thin fabrics rather than bulky ones.
- Weight: Similarly to the matter with bulk, it can be tempting to choose heavy fabrics when you want to beat the cold weather. However, heavy clothing can cause fatigue and difficulty in maintaining your pace. With that in mind, it is best to look for lightweight materials that can help keep warmth through insulation and cold blockage capabilities.
- Moisture removal: Even if you manage to keep external moisture from coming in contact with your body, sweat can be a problem. For that reason, it is always a good idea to look for natural moisture-wicking materials such as wool. By absorbing moisture before it can cool down, fabrics like this can prevent your body temperature from dropping because of sweat. On the other hand, you should avoid fibers that will retain the moisture. If this happens, even if your skin is dry, you will feel the temperature-lowering effects of the moisture. Cotton is a good example of the type of fabric to avoid.
- Moisture blockage: Without a doubt, the most important factor when it comes to keeping yourself dry is moisture blockage. Pants that employ waterproof (or weatherproof) fabrics can greatly reduce the amount of moisture that can get into your inner clothing layers due to rain, snow, and ice. Normally, moisture blocking fabrics are used as outer and mid-layers to be the most effective. Be wary of clothing made with materials labeled as “water-resistant”, though, as they don’t completely prevent moisture absorption.
- Cold blockage: When it comes to maintaining your bodily warmth, one of the most important things is to block out the cold. Apart from looking for inner and mid layers that can keep the warmth in, look for external layers that won’t let the cold get in. This is particularly true when you hike or work in exposed, windy areas. To prevent cold wind from accessing your protective layers, look for windproofing materials.
- Insulation: When you perform any type of physical activity, your body generates its own heat. In cold weather, it’s vital to be able to maintain that warmth and let it build up. Consequently, it’s always a very good idea to use materials capable of insulating the heat such as woold, synthetic fleece, nylon, Gore-Tex and others. What is more, it can be vital to use clothing that fits close to your body and does not have major gaps or holes in any place. Ideally, you should choose materials that fit your body tightly while keeping the cold air out and keeping the warm air in.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Pair o Pants for Cold Weather
If you are not experienced buying pants for cold weather, choosing a specific brand or model can be difficult. By taking the following into account, however, you will be able to make a much more accurate choice.
Like most things you can buy, the efficiency of clothing for cold weather has a lot to do with its level of quality. Generally speaking, the higher the level of quality, the more effective and durable the clothing item will be. Before making a purchase, take into account that pants for cold weather are normally comprised of at least a couple of layers of different materials. It’s very important to make sure that all the materials used to make said pants are high-quality. Also, you should always look for clothing items that boast high-quality construction. To do this, make sure to check out the product’s label and descriptions.
Without, there are some deservedly-renowned brands of clothing that make pants for cold weather. When you buy a product by one of these brands, you can be sure that you will be getting a high-quality product with expert construction. That does not mean, though, that famous brands are the only ones capable of producing cold-weather pants worth buying. What is more, renowned brands tend to be more expensive than up-and-coming brands. Be sure to take this into account before making a purchase.
In today’s free market, there are countless clothing options at all different prices. Of course, its price can be a good indicator of an item’s overall quality. However, it’s not a perfect indicator. Some times, clothing items of medium or low quality can be sold at very high prices due to branding and other issues. Conversely, some times, you can find clothing of great quality at surprisingly affordable prices. Before deciding on a specific product, make sure to compare it to similar ones. Additionally, take your budget into account.
Depending on the season, you may need to wear more or less protection against the cold weather. During winter, it is likely that you will have to wear heavier, thicker items of clothing, normally composed of various fabric layers. Meanwhile, during warmer seasons, you may want to use lighter, less bulky items of clothing. Of course, this depends largely on the location you are in and its weather.
As I just mentioned, your location is an important factor to take into account before buying a pair of cold-weather pants. For example, if you are in a place that is characterized by its cold weather, heavy rain, snow, and ice, you will be better off buying clothing with great cold blocking, waterproofing, and insulating capabilities.
With everything laid out on the table, it should be easy to see why these five products were chosen to be featured on our list. Warm, protective, comfortable and ergonomic, each of them is capable of keeping you happy in the coldest weather. It doesn’t hurt that they are also sleek, elegant and figure-flattering. Hopefully, you will be able to use this information to choose the perfect pair of pants for cold weather.